Butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds can transform a backyard into an oasis with a few low-cost and low-effort updates.
Non-invasive plants positioned carefully around the yard are a welcome addition for butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds. Butterflies need specific plants to help them prosper through all three phases of their life cycle. They thrive on host plants for the beginning caterpillar and cocoon stage, and then flourish with nectar plants once they’ve transformed into a butterfly. Add an artful pop of color with the following native flower installations:
• DODECATHEON: A Shooting Star type bloom with varying colors like magenta found in sub-alpine meadows.
• OREGON SUNSHINE: A bright yellow flower similar to a daisy.
• LEWISA BITTERROOT: Liven up your yard with this must-have featuring fleshy leaves and multiple florals on each stem.
• LEWISA COLUMBIANA: Offers a rosette of evergreen leaves and wide white flowers featuring pink pinstripes.
• SIDALCEA CHECKER MALLOW: Offers a bouquet of bright pink flowers on each stem.
• LAVENDER: The evergreens from his shrub offer nectar to bees.
• PACIFIC COAST RHODODENDRON: This beautiful floral display hosts brown and gray hairstreak butterflies, hummingbirds, bees, and Western tiger swallowtails.
• SERVICEBERRY: Hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies collect nectar from this native shrub.
Garden certification is available by the North American Butterfly association and their sign in your yard as great feature for any home. There are a few basic requirements, like having three or more food and nectar supplying plants, a water source, and at least half day’s exposure of sunshine. Learn more online.
Easily create a space for bees to thrive in your yard with minimal effort and zero upkeep. Mason bees are harmless and active pollinators. Their diligent work will help your crops flourish, as just three female bees can pollinate an entire apple tree. A bee hotel is a great spot for them to nest and recharge after helping you with yardwork. Check out this simple DIY at home craft.
Every home listed for sale with Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
Northwest Real Estate is eligible for no obligation seller coverage the
first six months the property is listed for sale with our company.